Monday 10 March 2014

MEDITATION – MEDITACIÓN



R relaxes by sleeping in weird positions -
R se relaja durmiendo todo retorcido
[ENGLISH] Over the last 6 weeks I have been doing a meditation course. The instructor has been taking us through different meditation techniques. She said that some techniques work better for some people so she would teach us a range and then we can practise those that are better for us.

I like counting, I have spent my life counting stuff, cars on my way to work, tiles in the bathroom, steps when I walk on the beach and breaths when I go for a run. My father does it too, and no, he did not teach me so it must be genetic. My mother was quite amused when she found out that I was a “counter” like dad. It turns out that counting is meditating, you empty your brain and go into relaxation, you can achieve deep relaxation by counting. It was the first technique that we learnt and the one that has worked the best with me. 

I am a scientist. I can understand the reasons behind relaxation through counting, you sort of empty your brain. I can understand how you undertake relaxation techniques that “travel through your body”, it is about awareness, focusing in what you are feeling through that part of the body. My problems start when meditators speak like if it was some kind of religion. My instructor even said that science has proven that we can change our environment with our attitude; she insinuated that we can change the climate. I cringe; this is the same people that would be outraged if their children were taught creationism in school! (creationism, by the way, is absolutely ridiculous!) Don’t they realise that what they are saying is as wrong? We can change our attitude and we can modify other people’s attitudes to us but we cannot change our physical environment!

While I utterly enjoyed the meditation, I felt quite uncomfortable with some of the stuff what was said in the classes. Even more uncomfortable when the instructor was claiming that science had proven one thing or the other. Well, if it hasn’t been peer-reviewed by reputable peers, it is not science. And using Google and reading blogs is not scientific research.
 

Relaxing at the beach - Relax en la playa

Not relaxing - lo contrario de relax
[ESPAÑOL] Estas últimas 6 semanas he hecho un curso de meditación. La monitora nos ha enseñado diferentes técnicas ya que, según dijo, no todas le funcionan a todo el mundo. Nos enseñó unas cuantas y dijo que después practicaríamos en casa aquellas que nos funcionasen mejor.

A mí me gusta contar. Llevo toda la vida contando, contando coches de camino al trabajo, baldosas y azulejos en el baño, pasos cuando camino por la playa y respiraciones cuando salgo a correr. Mi padre también cuenta todo, y lo gracioso es que nunca me lo dijo así que debe ser genético. Mi madre se partía de la risa cuando descubrió que yo también había salido “contadora” como mi padre. Pues resulta que contar es meditar, vacías la cabeza de pensamientos y te relajas, puedes alcanzar estados de relajación profunda mientras cuentas. Contar fue la primera técnica que nos ensenaron y la que mejor se me dio.

Yo soy científica. Entiendo las razones porque meditar te relaja, al contar, dejas de pensar. Entiendo también las técnicas que “pasean el pensamiento por el cuerpo”; te concentras en lo que sientes en cada parte de tu cuerpo y es otra manera de dejar de pensar. Mis problemas con la meditación comienzan cuando los meditadores instructores dicen cosas como que con la meditación se puede cambiar nuestro ambiente… mi instructora llego a insinuar que podemos modificar el clima! Y se atrevió a decir que está científicamente probado que podemos modificar las condiciones físicas que nos rodean. Me cuesta oírlo y me pongo mala; estas son las mismas personas que si les enseñasen creacionismo a sus hijos en el cole protestarían! (y no me extraña, ya que es ridículo). Pero no se dan cuenta de que las burradas son las mismas? Podemos modificar nuestra actitud y podemos a veces cambiar la actitud de los que nos rodean pero definitivamente no podemos cambiar el medio ambiente!

Así que por un lado me encanto meditar y aprender, y disfruté de los efectos de la relajación. Pero por otro lado me ponía mala al escuchar ese tipo de cosas. Y aún más cuando la monitora decía que esas burradas habían sido demostradas científicamente. A ver, a no ser que haya sido revisado por pares (y pares con reputación) no se le puede llamar ciencia. Y usar el Google y leer bitácoras no es hacer investigación científica!
 
B+G total relax

No comments:

Post a Comment