Sunday 10 November 2013

A small win – Un pequeño triunfo



G
[ENGLISH] I always wanted to have daughters so I could help them to becoming strong women. I thought that educating a girl was a challenge that I was qualified to take.  However, I have two boys and my challenge is now to educate them so they grow up respecting women and acknowledging equality as something normal. I think that this challenge is harder as it is too easy to perpetuate stereotypes. I am lucky to have a wonderful husband, and partner, and friend who shares this view and instead of helping me with the house and rising the children, he does his 50%. He is as outraged as me when we see toys catalogues that speak of the “Little professor” showing science gadgets on the boy’s section of the toys (and with only pictures of boys), while the girl’s section has plenty of ironing boards, washing machines, etc.

Yesterday G was talking about how he was going to do something (I don’t remember exactly what) where he is was going to get very dirty. I turned to him and asked “so are you going to wash your clothes afterwards”, and he said “NO” with a very cheeky smile. So I asked “Who is going to wash your clothes for you?”…. for a few seconds, I waited in fear of him answering “mummy” but no! I am proud to say that he used both hands to point at B and myself and he said “Mummy and Daddy!!” I was so proud that I kissed him.

A small win, indeed. 


Laundry for everyone (including superheros)
Colada para todos (incluyendo superhéroes)
[ESPAÑOL] Yo quería tener hijas para poder educarlas y enseñarles a ser mujeres fuertes e independientes. Sin embargo, he tenido dos hijos, y lo que me he propuesto es educarlos para que crezcan respetando a las mujeres y aceptando la igualdad como algo normal. Creo que este desafío es incluso más difícil ya que caer en los estereotipos tradicionales es muy fácil. Tengo suerte de tener un marido maravilloso que también es mi amigo y mi compañero que comparte conmigo esta visión y que, en lugar de ayudarme con la casa y los niños hace su 50%, lo que le corresponde. Al igual que a mí, se queda  completamente ojiplático cuando vemos un catálogo de juguetes que muestra “el rincón del pequeño profesor” en la sección de niños (con fotos de niños solamente), mientras que la sección de niñas está llena de planchas, lavadoras, etc.

Ayer G estaba hablando de algún plan que tiene en el que iba a hacer algo que se iba a ensuciar un montón. Así que le pregunté si es que él se iba a lavar su ropa. Al responderme que no, le pregunte que quién se la iba a lavar entonces… durante unos segundos pensé que iba a responder “mamá”, pero no, estoy súper orgullosa, con una gran sonrisa y utilizando sus dos manos nos apuntó a su padre y a mí y dijo “Mamá y papá!” Me dio tanto orgullo que le planté un beso.

Un pequeño triunfo, de verdad.

No comments:

Post a Comment