Thursday 27 June 2013

Natural Medicine – Medicina Natural



[ENGLISH] Given that I am pregnant and cannot (wish not) take the corticosteroids and antivirals that non-pregnant people use to fight Bell’s Palsy, I have been directed towards alternative/natural medicine. I started with acupuncture, it was good and relaxing but ended up becoming too much... 3 sessions a week and little improvement (which to be honest could have happened because the illness was following its course) to be felt made me give up. After that I decided to have a go at resting and relaxing and waiting until the baby is born to see what happens. However, my friends care about me and they are asking their contacts for possible advice. First, my friend’s dad is a natural doctor and has recommended me that I take 12 pills a day of BlackmoresPPMP. I thought that was a lot and asked another friend who also is a natural doctor. He has told me to have Aconitum instead... I gave up trying to make sense and sent an e-mail to Jill, the herbalist that has been helping me during this pregnancy. In fact I should have gone and seeing her at 32 weeks but I just did not want more opinions. She will see me tomorrow and she will hopefully help me making sense of all of this advice... I think all the advice is given with the best intentions but I really cannot do everything.

I can (almost) close my eye!! (not always though)
(Casi) puedo cerrar el ojo!!! (sólo a veces)


[ESPAÑOL] Como estoy embarazada y no puedo (ni quiero) tomar los esteroides y antivirales que normalmente recetan para controlar la Parálisis de Bell, la única opción parece que es utilizar medicina natural y alternativa. Empecé con acupuntura y creo que ayudó y era relajante pero al final me llevaba demasiado tiempo… 3 sesiones a la semana por una mejora pequeña (y discutible si puede ser atribuida a la acupuntura o a la evolución natural de la enfermedad). Total, que decidí dejarla. Al dejarla tome la decisión de relajarme y descansar hasta tener el bebé y ver qué pasaba después. Sin embargo mis amigos me ven y le preguntan a sus contactos. El padre de una amiga es médico naturópata y recomendó que tomase fosfatos de potasio y magnesio a dosis elevadas. Me pareció que era demasiado así que le pregunté al hermano de otro amigo, también medico naturópata, y me ha dicho que no sabe nada de fosfatos que me tome Aconitum  Total, que he abandonado la idea de aclararme yo sola con todos estos consejos y le he escrito a Jill, mi herbalista que me ha ayudado durante todo el embarazo. De hecho, tenía que haber ido a verla a las 32 semanas pero no fui porque no quería más opiniones diferentes sobre qué hacer. La veré mañana y espero que me ayude a decidir…. Al fin y al cabo, todos estos consejos vienen con las mejores intenciones pero yo creo que no puedo seguirlos todos a la vez.

No comments:

Post a Comment