Thursday 18 July 2013

Labour I – Parto I



My half-smile... it still looks quite unnatural,
but it certainly is much better.
Mi media sonrisa... aun no se ve natural,
pero está mucho mejor.

[ENGLISH] I seem to be incapable of going into labour like a “normal woman”. Here is what I understand as “normal” (or what I want to be), you start having contractions and then they become more regular and intense at the same time that your cervix undergoes dilatation. With G I was induced almost at 42 weeks, induction started at 9am on a Thursday and G was born on a Friday at 7:14pm. By 9 am on Friday, 24 hours after the prostaglandin gel, I had managed to be up all night with contractions and be 2 cm dilated (nothing!)

This time around I started having strong (real) contractions on Sunday early morning (between 5 and 7am); they were so real that I was convinced that #2 was going to be born on Sunday night at the latest. Instead, contractions sort of stopped and came back and then stopped and then came back… and they have been coming up in bursts ever since. I had an internal yesterday and I was excited, I thought that it was going to be one of those cases where the midwife says: “Ooops! You are half way dilated, you are ready to go!! Go home, grab your gear and be back tonight”… instead she said: “mmm… only 1cm dilated, that, given that it is your second son, means nothing… maybe you never closed more than that”… after seeing how disappointed I was, she added “but the cervix is really soft and I can tell that you are ready to go”.

So here I am today, at 39 weeks and 5 days, with plenty of contractions again, waiting to see whether this is “it” or whether they are going to disappear again only to return in a few hours… we will see!
*My attempt to walk a lot and bring labour today consisted of going to Ikea with my mother! As one of my colleagues and friends said “that doesn’t count as resting but it sure does for birth preparation”


BP- still improving… slowly!

So happy that mum is here...
Contentísima de que mi madre esté aquí
[ESPAÑOL] Pues parece que no soy capaz de ponerme de parto

como una mujer “normal”. Antes de continuar, decir que lo que yo entiendo como normal (o lo que yo quiero ser) es que alguien empiece con contracciones, y que estas se hagan más frecuentes e intensas causando la dilatación del cuello del útero. Con G me provocaron el parto casi a las 42 semanas, empezaron a las 9 de la mañana de un jueves y G nació el viernes por la tarde a las 7:14pm. Ese viernes, a las 9 de la mañana, 24 horas después del gel de inducción, lo que había conseguido era una noche sin dormir a causa de las contracciones y una dilatación de 2 cm (nada!)

Esta vez las contracciones fuertes (de verdad) comenzaron el Domingo de madrugada; eran tan fuertes que estaba convencida de que Secun iba a nacer el domingo por la noche como tarde. Sin embargo, las contracciones pararon, comenzaron otra vez, pararon otra vez, comenzaron otra vez… y se han dedicado a venirse de vez en cuando y a parar nuevamente desde entonces. Ayer la matrona me hizo un reconocimiento interno y la verdad es que yo estaba emocionada. Me imaginaba que después de reconocerme me iba a decir que ya estaba muy dilatada (o sea, que todas esas contracciones ya me habían preparado) y que me iba a mandar a casa a buscar mis cosas diciéndome que volviera esa noche. En lugar de eso me dijo…. “mmm.. 1 cm sólo… y dado que es tu segundo hijo no significa nada ya que puede que nunca hayas cerrado más de esto después del primer parto”. Se dio cuenta de lo chafada que me había quedado y añadió, “pero el cuello del útero está bien blando, estas lista para empezara dilatar”.

O sea que aquí sigo hoy a las 39 semanas y 5 días, con un montón de contracciones otra vez esperando a ver si éstas son las definitivas o si se van a ir para volver después… lo veremos!
*Hoy me fui a Ikea con mi madre con la intención de andar mucho y provocar el parto! Como me dijo un compañero y amigo, “eso no cuenta como descanso, pero sí que cuenta como preparación al parto!”


PB – seguimos mejorando… despacio!!

No comments:

Post a Comment