Saturday 13 July 2013

Panic in Week 39 – Pánico en la semana 39



[ENGLISH] What does an academic do on the Friday night that marks her 39th week of pregnancy? I don’t know about other but I know what I have been doing until now 1am. I have had lots of contractions today so I have freaked out that I was going to go into labour (contractions seem to have stopped now) and have decided to finish off with work stuff:

1.       I have read abstract and conclusions plus re-reading the final chapter of one of my PhD students who will be submitting while I am away. I am a hands-on supervisor and he has been (is) a great student, I don’t want him to be disadvantaged because I am having a baby so I have been working hard (so has he) getting all his material reviewed. DONE- he has done a great job!
2.       I have accepted to organise a major international conference in Sydney in 2016… I have drafted a few emails to keep things moving with securing a venue while I am away. DONE!
3.       I also am, in my (non-existent) spare time Director of a small research station and I have been reviewing the new boating guidelines that include risk assessments for each boat, boat trip forms that have to be filled on a daily basis etc… painful but necessary. DONE! Forms are ready and I have sent them for endorsement to several of my colleagues and organised follow up and implementation. By the way, if you have a permit to work in Australia and hold a Master 5 or a Coxswain license endorsed for the southern Great Barrier Reef let me know… we need to hire boat managers for the research station.
4.       I have also been answering other queries and e-mails and am now going to bed.

The academic life is awesome, very vocational. But it is also very demanding when you need to take leave as nobody really replaces you while you are away.

BP update: I had more Reiki today… I think things continue to improve slowly.



[ESPAÑOL] Adivina, adivinanza, que hace una científica en la noche del viernes que marca su 39 semana de gestación? Pues no sé otras, pero yo hoy he tenido un montón de contracciones y he entrado en pánico así que me he dedicado a terminar cosas urgentes de trabajo hasta ahora que es la 1 de la mañana:


  1. Me he leído el resumen y las conclusiones de uno de mis alumnos de doctorado que entrega la tesis mientras yo estoy de baja; también me he re-leído su último capitulo principal. Como directora de tesis estoy siempre con los alumnos y no quiero que éste se sienta en desventaja por el hecho de que yo vaya a tener un bebé. Él ha sido (es) muy buen alumno y se merece mi esfuerzo. HECHO! La verdad es que la tesis está muy bien escrita! 
  2. He aceptado organizar una conferencia internacional muy importante en Sidney en el 2016… he escrito correos electrónicos organizando varias cosas para asegurarnos la reserva del hotel mientras estoy de baja. HECHO! 
  3. En mi tiempo libre (que no existe) soy directora de una pequeña estación de investigación así que hoy me ha tocado revisar todos los papeles de seguridad e higiene en el trabajo relacionados con los barcos de la estación. HECHO! He enviado los papeles para que comenten y endorsen. También he organizado los siguientes pasos para su implementación durante mi ausencia. Por cierto, si tienes permiso de trabajo en Australia y tienes el Master 5 o el Coxswain para el Sur de la Gran Barrera escríbeme un comentario… estamos buscando managers para la estación de investigación. 
  4. Finalmente, he estado respondiendo otros correos y peticiones urgentes y ahora me voy a la cama.
 
La vida científica es apasionante pero la verdad es que te convierte en una esclava cada vez que te toca irte de baja, vacaciones o lo que sea. Nunca nadie te substituye cuando no estas.

PB: hoy mi amiga me ha dado más Reiki. Parece que sigo mejorando despacito.

No comments:

Post a Comment